Native-Speaking English Teachers (NETs) Scheme
WHAT IS THE NET SCHEME?
Since 1998, Native-Speaking English Teachers (NETs) have been teaching in secondary schools in Hong Kong. Shortly after, in 2002, NETs were placed in primary (elementary) schools throughout the region.
The NET scheme aims to support and strengthen English language learning and teaching in Hong Kong. The main goals of the schemes are to:
- Provide an authentic environment for children to learn English and develop their confidence using English for communication
- Develop innovative learning and teaching methods, materials, curriculum and activities suited to the needs of local students
- Promote the professional development of teachers
- Encourage effective networking amongst schools
- Disseminate good practices in language learning and teaching developed within the scheme through regional teacher development programs and experience sharing workshops
ACCOMMODATION IN HONG KONG
All NETs will receive an allowance of HK$16,859/month to assist with accommodation. The housing allowance is based on the average cost of an 800 sq. foot apartment across all of Hong Kong. In addition, teachers will receive assistance in finding suitable accommodation. Married couples will only receive one housing allowance.
FLIGHT TO HONG KONG
Teachers who are accepted in the program will be reimbursed for return airfare from their home country to Hong Kong once per contract. Teachers traveling with families are reimbursed for up to 5 family members. To assist with moving costs associated with moving to Hong Kong, teachers are also entitled to claim baggage allowance.
SALARY FOR TEACHING IN HONG KONG
Salary ranges from HK$23,530 to HK$54,665 (approximately $3,000-$7,000 USD) per month.
Education Bureau (Native-speaking English Teacher (NET) Scheme)
Native speakers of English are people who acquire the language in infancy and develop the language through adolescence and adulthood within a community where English is spoken as the first language. Native-speaker English competence refers to the ability to use English fluently and spontaneously, to give grammatically accurate responses in communication and to write or speak creatively.
Non-native speakers of English, i.e. people who have not acquired the language in early childhood, are also suitable for employment as NETs if their English competence is not different from that of native-speakers in terms of fluency, accuracy and creativity in language use.